Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lemon poppyseed muffins

I decided to bake my Grandmother a birthday treat. I've not really baked much before, but it’s starting to grow on me. I decided on lemon poppy seed muffins. I looked at a few recipes before deciding on how to make them. This is what I came up with and they turned out really well. These muffins have provided me the encouragement to continue exploring the fun of baking! 

Lemon poppyseed muffins
zest and juice of one and a half lemons
2/3 cup organic fine sugar
1 cup stone ground whole wheat baking/pastry flour
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup light sour cream
2 large eggs
1 stick of butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Yields 1 dozen muffins. 

Pre-heat over to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan by spraying with a non-stick spray or putting paper muffin cups in the 12 muffin molds.

In a large bowl whisk together the lemon zest, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs, butter, juice of one lemon, and vanilla. 

Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry while whisking together until blended. Add poppy seeds and stir. Evenly distribute the batter among the 12 muffin molds. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops turn a light, golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool.

2 comments:

  1. hhhmmm, they looks so fluffy, delicious, creamy and tasty, with unic aroma of lemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhmmm, they looks so fluffy, delicious, creamy and tasty, with unic aroma of lemon :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!