Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pecan pie

 












I think the pie turned out really well...especially because it's only about the 5th time in my life I've ever made a pie, the 3rd time I've ever made a pecan pie, and the 1st time I ever made my own crust. I made a pecan pie because we had brought home a sack of them from Georgia and because it's my mom's favorite pie. I recruited my husband to shell the pecan while he was watching hockey! I wanted to try an olive oil crust because they are slightly healthier and thought it would be a good first pie crust attempt.  

Olive oil pie crust
1-1/4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt 
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of very cold milk (or water or a mixture of both), plus 1-2 tablespoons, if needed


Add flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk together and then add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined and then use your hands to mold it into a ball shape. Do not over-mix or "play with it" as it will become tough. Roll out the dough in between two pieces of wax paper until about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a 9-inch pie pan and fit it to the pan, crimping the sides and using any excess to fill tears or thin spots. 

Pecan pie filling
3 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup (or dark or a combination)
3/4 cup fine, unrefined sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1.5 cups fresh toasted pecans (1 cup whole/halved, half cup chopped)


Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl beat the eggs with a whisk. Then beat in both sugars. Stir in the corn syrup, salt, vanilla, butter, and pecans until combined. Pour into an unbaked pie crust in a pie pan. Bake for about 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown. The filling will puff slightly. If the crust begins to turn too dark, cover it with aluminum foil and continue baking.

Let cool to help set the filling. Serve plain or topped with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!