Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cornmeal pancakes with fresh cranberries

I absolutely love fresh cranberries. I buy them up at Thanksgiving and Christmas time and then am always looking for ways to use them. I found this recipe and thought it looked really great - so I had to give it a try. I was correct, these pancakes were great! I love cornmeal pancakes and I had never really thought of putting fresh cranberries in pancakes before, but they provide a great tart contrast to all the sweetness.

I had to (as usual) cut the recipe in half because two of us definitely didn't need 24 pancakes (the below recipe will make about 12)! Otherwise I followed the recipe pretty well. I used evaporated milk in my pancakes though because I've been trying to use up some leftover in the fridge!

Cornmeal pancakes with fresh cranberry

5 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease your pan
1 cup evaporated milk (or milk)
2 eggs
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup stoneground yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, sliced in half

In a small sauce pan, heat butter and milk until the butter melts. The remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm (so as to not cook the eggs). In a medium bowl, beat your eggs. Slowly stir in the warm milk mixture.

In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Slowly add the milk mixture into the flour a little at a time while stirring until the ingredients are just combined. The mixture will bubble slightly.

Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot. Grease the skillet with some butter. Add about 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake. Once the pancake batter sets on the griddle, sprinkle with the chopped cranberries. Cook until the pancake begins to bubble and then flip and continue cooking until the bottom is lightly browned. Repeat as needed (adding more butter to your griddle each time).

While the pancakes are cooking, I like to warm real (yes, it must be REAL) maple syrup in a small saucepan over very low heat. You can throw a cinnamon stick in the syrup while it warms, too, if you would like. Serve the pancakes immediately topped with the warm maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!