Sunday, January 17, 2010

Whole wheat blueberry pancakes

Pancakes are a wonderful weekend breakfast. Since discovering how simple it is to make them from scratch (and the endless possibilities and varieties that I could create), I'll never go back to any sort of mix again!

These pancakes were tasty and surprisingly light for using whole wheat flour. I decided on blueberry because I had an opened bag of frozen organic blueberries in the freezer and to make them a little heartier, I used some toasted walnuts, too. The basic whole wheat pancake recipe can include any sort of fruit, nuts, etc. that you have on hand... I tried to make these fairly healthy while keeping great taste and texture, too.
 

Whole wheat blueberry pancakes for two
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons honey
1-1/2 tablespoons oil (I used olive)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or low fat buttermilk or any milk you use)
1 large egg

1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen that have been thawed)
1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
butter for your skillet
maple syrup for serving

In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Then add the milk and egg and whisk together. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and stir until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.

Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot. Coat with butter and let warm. Add about 1/4-1/3 cup batter for each pancake. When they begin to set, add blueberries. Flip when they begin to bubble and turn golden. Cook on the other side until golden. Repeat until all batter is gone (makes about six 4-inch pancakes).

I like to warm real maple syrup in a small saucepan while the pancakes are cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!