Sunday, February 14, 2010

Apple-cranberry coffee cake

For Valentine's Day breakfast I was trying to find some sort of coffee cake/breakfast cake that I could get up early to make in my heart-shaped pan. I looked all over the internet for a recipe that I thought sounded good. I wanted one that used apples because I had two apples around that needed to be used up. I didn't really find a recipe that I liked, so I read a bunch and then made my own. Unfortunately I did not have any applesauce on-hand or I would have used that in this recipe - next time I will. I decided to use some dried cranberries on top, too, so that there was some red color in the heart. If I had fresh cranberries - I would have used those in the batter, too.

Apple-cranberry coffee cake
For the batter:
1/2 cup plus two tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup plus two tablespoons milk (or milk substitute or buttermilk)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large apples, peeled and diced

For the topping:
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup lightly toasted pecan pieces (or walnuts)
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1 tablespoon butter

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and lightly spray a 9-inch cake/baking pan with cooking spray (in my case, I used a heart-shaped cake pan).

In a small bowl, add all of the topping ingredients and mix together with a fork until it is all moist and combined. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add the flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Mix until combined and break up any lumps in the brown sugar. Add milk, egg, and vanilla and stir until just combined. Then stir in the apples until just combined. The batter will be thick.

Spread an even layer of batter in your cake pan and then sprinkle the topping in an even layer on top. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until just golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes and then enjoy warm with a nice cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!