Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Apple almond bread

I had all this buttermilk I needed to use up and was looking around the kitchen to see what else I had a lot of -- two things I noticed were apples and almonds. I thought that a bread would be good so we would have something to grab for breakfast this week, but I didn't want anything too sweet or sugary. I found this recipe and modified it to what I wanted. I think the bread turned out good. It's not too sweet and it's a hearty bread that's great for a breakfast or snack. I topped a slice with some almond butter and it was even better. I still have more buttermilk left...
 

Apple almond bread
1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons almond butter
1 medium apple, diced
1/4 cup almonds, light toasted (slivered or chopped)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, add the flours, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Whisk until well combined. Mix in the buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and almond butter until combined. Then mix in the apples and almonds until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!