Sunday, March 7, 2010

Apple-spice oatmeal pancakes

I really love to make pancakes and I make all different kinds. Previously, I've written about whole wheat blueberry pancakes and cornmeal pancakes with fresh cranberries. These oatmeal pancakes are very hearty; full of whole wheat, oats, apples, and walnuts. Since I've starting cooking more and really trying to make things homemade, I've realized how easy it is to make pancakes from scratch rather than a box mix. The below recipe will make about ten 4-inch pancakes. 

Apple-spice oatmeal pancakes
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 cups milk (any kind you like)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium apple, peeled and diced (I used granny smith)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cups toasted walnuts, chopped (for serving)
real maple syrup, warmed (for serving)
butter for skillet

In a medium bowl, add the oats and the milk and let soak while you are preparing the rest of the pancake batter. In a large bowl, add the flours, salt, and baking powder and mix together. Put the peeled and diced apple in a small bowl and add the lemon juice (to keep from browning), cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg and stir until the apples are covered. Set aside. In the bowl with the milk and oats, add the vanilla, brown sugar, olive oil, and egg. Whisk together until just combined. Slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the apples. Warm up your grill pan or skillet until warm and spread butter over the pan. Once the butter is warmed, use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop batter onto the skillet. Flip the pancakes when they begin to bubble and the underside is golden. Repeat until all batter is used.

Serve immediately topped with the walnut pieces and warm maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. My son asked for pancakes this morning. I didn't have any mix. Then I remembered that you had a billion pancake recipes. So I read the list to my son, he picked this one and I made it. He is a tough pancake critic and he loved them, u save my day! (From Isa Hannes)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!