Sunday, March 14, 2010

Green chile and cheese cornbread

I was looking for a cornbread recipe that used whole corn because I really like texture in my cornbread. I found this recipe from Simply Recipes and I knew that I had to try this one. I made this bread to go with some pulled pork sandwiches, red cabbage slaw, and sweet potato fries that we had when a couple of friends came over for dinner. The bread turned out really well. I made a few changes to the above recipe and they are shown below. The recipes make a lot of bread - you'll get about 12 pieces from the pan.

Green chile and cheese cornbread
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal (I used white)
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup fine cane sugar (or regular granulated sugar)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 can (about 4 medium) green chiles, diced (the can I found was 8.75 oz. and they only came in mild. It was approximately 1/2 cup of diced chiles).
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2-3 scallions, thinly sliced (green and whites)

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray (or butter) an 8x12 inch glass baking pan.

In a medium bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a large bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in the sour cream and eggs until well mixed. Then add the milk and beat until just combined. Begin to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, about a third at a time, mixing with a spoon until just combined. Then add in the green chiles, cheese, scallions, and corn and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.

Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the top is browned and a toothpick comes out cleanly. Let cool before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!