Sunday, March 28, 2010

Peanut butter banana pancakes

As I've previously expressed on this blog, I really love pancakes. I especially love making different kinds of pancakes from scratch. I have been wanting to make a peanut butter pancake for a while now. I found this recipe which I modified slightly for the below recipe. This recipe will make about ten 4-inch panckes. I added some bittersweet chocolate chips to mine, too -- but these are optional. I used all natural peanut butter in my pancakes because that's all we have. I think it worked out just fine, it's just not as sweet as other types of peanut butters (but with the bananas and the chocolate chips, I don't think we missed the extra sweetness).

Peanut butter and banana pancakes
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon fine cane sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons of milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
1 ripe banana, mashed with a fork
2 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Add all of the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix until combined.

In a large bowl, beat the egg with a whisk. Then add the milk and olive oil and whisk together. Add the peanut butter and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the banana and stir until it's broken apart and combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (about 1/3 at a time). Stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using.

Heat a skillet or grill pan until warm. Melt butter on the pan. When it's warm, add the batter about 1/4 cup at a time. Flip when the batter begins to bubble and the pancake turns golden brown. Repeat until all batter is used. Top with warm maple syrup and maybe some extra banana slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!