Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pear-ginger crisp

Ginger is one of my favorite things and I wanted to incorporate it into a dessert recently. I also thought it would be interesting to try a few different forms of ginger in this dessert. I absolutely love the single serving ramekins I got for my wedding shower last summer. I use them all the time. This was an easy week night dessert. Since we had some pears to use up, I thought that pears and ginger would make a great combination. I made one for myself and one for my husband. The below recipe is for one 6 oz. ramekin. If you don't have all of the forms of ginger below, you can substitute more of one for another. If you've never had crystallized ginger, I highly recommend picking some up. It's delicious by itself and for using in recipes such as this one.
 

Pear-ginger ramekins
1 small-medium pear, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
about 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
about 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8-1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
a couple of dashes of cinnamon
about 1/4 cup oats
about 1 tablespoon of softened butter
pinch of salt

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Put the pears, a teaspoon of flour, granulated sugar, all the ginger, a dash of cinnamon, and the salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside while you make the topping. In another bowl, combine the remaining flour, brown sugar, oats, another dash of cinnamon, and the butter. Mix using your fingers until it's well-combined and has a "crumbly" look. Spray the ramekin with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon the pears in the bottom and then top with the oat mixture. Place the ramekin(s) on a baking sheet and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the pear-ginger mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!