Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dill pickle chips

These pickles were the result of my finding a pint of pickling cucumbers at the farmer's market yesterday and deciding I would make and can some pickles. Since there's just the two of us, I figured that would be enough pickles to last us a while and just got the one container. After reading numerous pickle recipes, I picked portions I liked of each and used this recipe. I tasted the brine after it was made; however, since I just made these pickles this morning, I have not tried them yet. They should pickle for at least a week (but a couple is better) to come to their full flavor. Perhaps I will update this posting after I actually try them! I liked a bit of spice in my pickles, but you can leave out the red pepper if you prefer. This recipe will yield approximately four 12-ounce canning jars of pickles. If you want to make more than that, you can easily double or triple this recipe.
 

Dill pickle chips
1 pint (about 15-20 medium-sized) pickling cucumbers, sliced into about 1/4-inch coins

Brine:
2 cups filtered water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons canning salt (or other salt, though the brine may discolor from minerals. I actually used sea salt)
1-2 teaspoons sugar

Flavorings (per jar):
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
about 8-10 black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
1 teaspoon dried dill weed



Prepare your canning jars by properly sterilizing. Heat your water bath to boiling. In a large saucepan, combine all of the brine ingredients. Simmer until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add the flavorings to each jar. Fill the jar with cucumber slices (about 4-5 cucumbers in each jar). Fill each jar with cooled brine until it reaches about 1/2-inch from the top. Place the lids and screw tops on your jars and boil in the hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove the jars and let cool. Make sure that all of the lids have sealed. Store the pickles for up to a year in a cool, dark place. Refrigerate after opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!