September 26, 2010

Curry chicken salad

I actually never had curry chicken salad until last year. Once I tasted it, I thought that it would be a really easy thing to replicate at home and be great for lunches and for using up leftover roasted chicken. Well, leftover roasted chicken is what I had so I decided to make some of this up to have in the refrigerator for a tasty lunch. Luckily, I also had some cilantro that was begging to be used up, too. You can eat this on a sandwich or wrap, with some crackers, or even just put a scoop on top of a bed of greens. It's a flavorful salad and it has a nice combination of tastes and textures that really make it interesting.

Curry chicken salad
about 2-3 cups of cooked shredded chicken (breast and/or dark meat)
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tablespoon red onion, minced
1/4 cup golden raisins (dried cranberries would also be great)
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of cayenne pepper
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup cashews, light toasted and chopped

Mix all of the ingredients from chicken to cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise until it's lightly covering everything (you can add more or less if you want). Then gently stir in the cilantro.

I don't like to put in the cashews unless I'm going to eat it right away because they will get soft. If I'm going to refrigerate it overnight (which is recommended as it gives it time to let all the flavors merry and allows it to develop a nice yellow color), I don't add the cashews until we are getting ready to eat or getting the lunches packed. Otherwise, add the cashews and serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!