Friday, October 8, 2010

Carrot-raisin bread

I decided to whip up an easy quick bread one evening because we were running out of snacks for our lunches. When looking around at what produce I had that I could use to make a quick bread, I decided on carrots since I had quite a lot of them. I decided that I would add golden raisins, even though my husband is not a fan. I love raisins, so sometimes I have to use them anyway!

I did a quick search and found this recipe. I made some changes and added another half cup of carrots because I wanted it to be really full with them. The bread turned out good. The original recipe called for a over one hour of baking time. I put it in for 45 minutes to start and think that was probably about 5 minutes too long because it started to get a little dry. So, just keep an eye on it and start at a lower cooking time and put it in longer, if needed. 

Carrot-raisin bread
1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups shredded carrot (no need to peel)
1/2 cup golden raisins
non-stick cooking spray

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together all of the ingredients from flour to salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together to milk, egg, applesauce, and olive oil until well-blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry along with the carrots and raisins. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour the batter into an 8-inch bread pan. Bake for about 40-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!