Monday, October 25, 2010

Rutabaga and potato puree

In my quest to make more interesting and delicious vegetable side dishes, I decided to buy a rutabaga at the farmer's market. I'd never had a rutabaga before, so I did some searching and reading. Everything I read said it was similar in taste to a turnip, but milder and a bit sweet. I made this puree as a side for my Autumn pork roast instead of the usual sweet potato. The puree was so good! I loved it. It was slightly spicy, creamy, and just plain good. So, don't shy away from the rutabaga. The next time you see one sitting there are the market, take it home and give it a try!


Rutabaga and potato puree
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and diced
1 small white potato, diced (peeled, if desired)
1-2 tablespoons half and half (or milk)
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
sea salt to taste
water

Place the rutabaga and potato in a medium pot and cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the cooking water in the pot. Add cream, salt, and pepper. Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor (alternatively, you can mash with a potato masher, but it will be chunkier). Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!