Monday, November 29, 2010

Creamy cauliflower soup

Oh, how I love soup! Soup weather is upon us in full force now. I had some local cauliflower in the refrigerator that was nagging me to make it into a creamy, cheesy soup and I happily obliged. I made this soup for dinner one cool evening after a long day at work. It was the perfect cup of comfort to snuggle up with (along with my husband and a blanket). I am a big fan of cauliflower, too. In fact, I'm a big fan of vegetables in general. Recently I was involved in a conversation with people who were all discussing the vegetables that they refuse to eat... I could not think of one vegetable I refuse to eat. I rather enjoy eating them. My least favorite vegetable would probably be spaghetti squash, but I've even found ways to love that, too. But, back to the cauliflower soup....

Creamy cauliflower soup
2 tablespoons butter
extra virgin olive oil
1 large head of cauliflower, chopped (stems and florets)
1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup milk or half and half
3 ounces Nuefchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (plus more for garnish)

In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon butter and some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent. Add the cauliflower to the pot and stir. Add the vegetable stock (if the cauliflower is not covered, add some water until it is). Season with a little salt and a lot of pepper and add the parsley. Continue cooking until the stock comes to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and continue cooking until soft (about 20 minutes).

In a small pot, heat the remaining butter and a little more olive oil. When hot and melted, whisk in the flour. Cook for about two minutes. Add the milk and whisk briskly. Continue whisking until the flour is all smooth and the milk begins to thicken slightly. Add the cheeses, turn off the heat, and continue whisking until they are all melted. Set aside.

Puree the cauliflower mixture using an immersion blender (turn off the heat), or in batches in a blender (then return to the pot). Turn the heat back on. When the soup is hot, add the creamy, cheesy mixture to the cauliflower and stir until well combined. Check for seasoning. Serve hot topped with extra parsley, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh a great idea for cauliflower. I am always looking for new recipes for that one. Nice work and great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thanks for stopping by here!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!