Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oatmeal sweet potato muffins

It's week 9 of Fall Fest and this week celebrates sweet potatoes. I was pressed for time this week and was at a loss of what I wanted to make featuring sweet potatoes. I did know that I wanted it to be something savory.... but, that didn't happen. Even though we eat a lot of sweet potatoes, they are usually just baked or roasted with some paprika and red pepper. I don't often cook something savory with sweet potatoes that features a recipe or anything really creative (I did find an African soup recipe that I've marked in one of my cookbooks). So, I ended up making these muffins on a whim and they were not a mistake. The muffins are definitely good and will make a perfect breakfast or mid-morning snack. The recipe will make 12 muffins (or, if you are like me and like big muffins, it will make 9).

Oatmeal sweet potato muffins
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sweet potato puree
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin cups.

In a large bowl, whisk together to dry ingredients (oats through nutmeg). In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (sweet potato puree through egg) until well combined. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry along with the nuts, if desired, using a wooden spoon until just combined. Spoon even amounts into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with some extra oats, if desired.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the muffins are "springy" to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Store in an airtight container.


Looking for some more sweet potato recipes? How about sweet potato pie or sweet potato pancakes with cinnamon butter?

2 comments:

  1. I would of never thought to make sweet potato muffins but they look delicious! And their kind of different - in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I also thought they might be a bit weird, but they are really good!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!