Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pumpkin-corn muffins

It's the time of year when I become out of control with all things pumpkin (and also squash, apple, and more). It's OK though, because seasonal eating is good. These muffins were something I threw together one evening during the week with some pumpkin puree I had in the refrigerator. I found this recipe and thought to myself "hmmmm... why didn't I think of that?" These muffins were really moist from the yogurt and only slightly sweet. If you wanted them to be more "breakfasty" or if you like your cornbread on the sweet side, you may want to add some more sugar or some honey. The white specks in my muffins are from the white corn meal I used (because that's what I had), but you can use yellow. This recipe will make 12 muffins. I think these would be a nice addition to a Thanksgiving meal as well. 

Pumpkin-corn muffins
1 cup fine ground corn meal
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon applesauce
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek)

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the muffin tin by spraying with a non-stick cooking spray or placing muffin liners in the cups.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients (cornmeal through sugar) in a medium bowl.

Whisk together all the remaining wet ingredients in a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.

Spoon the batter into the muffins cups in even amounts. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops turn slightly golden and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then remove and let cool. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate if you keep them more than a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is another fantastic pumpkin recipe & using cornmeal too! Fantastic! Bookmarking this recipe . LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!