Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sour cream and onion dip

I have been seriously craving chips and onion dip lately. So when I went grocery shopping the other day, I picked up a couple of dip containers and read the ingredients... lots of MSG and other scary ingredients. So, I put the dip container down and decided that it can't be too difficult to make onion dip that doesn't come pre-made or from a packet. I make roasted red pepper dip as a holiday snack. I understand that in no way are chips and dip a healthy snack, but I figured I could at least make it out of items I could pronounce and recognize - perhaps making me feel a bit less guilty. The dip was really easy to make and it was very good (be prepared to have extreme onion breath). 

Sour cream and onion dip
extra virgin olive oil for cooking
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used the kind made with olive oil)
1/4 cup minced red onions
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 teaspoon dried minced onions
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
a couple pinches of fine sea salt


In a small pan, heat a little olive oil over medium-low heat. Gently sautee the red onions until they are soft. Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. After they are combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. This will allow the onion flavor to really penetrate the dip. Uncover, stir, and serve with chips and/or fresh vegetables of your choice. This dip would also be great on a baked potato.

1 comment:

  1. Sour cream onion dip has always been my favorite! You just woke up a humongous craving in me - I'm making this for Thanksgiving! So yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!