Saturday, November 27, 2010

Waldorf turkey salad pitas

This is one of the ways I've come up with the use up some of our leftover turkey. This was the first time I had ever even cooked a turkey (and my first time making Thanksgiving dinner). We ordered an organic, free-range turkey from a local market. It was certainly much more expensive than a supermarket turkey, but I think it was completely worth it. This turkey salad has a lot of autumn flavors in it, but they are mixed up a bit differently in this pita. 

I noticed once I was looking at the photos that I forgot to add the walnuts to my pita! I didn't notice when I was eating it though. I don't like to put in the nuts until right before I'm going to eat it because I don't like soggy nuts... So we'll just pretend there are walnuts in the photos, or you can leave them out. This recipe will make approximately 4-6 pitas, depending on the size of your pita bread. You can also make sandwiches or wraps instead of pitas. 

Waldorf turkey salad pitas
2-3 cups leftover turkey, diced
1 small apple, cored and diced
1 rib celery, diced
1/4 small red onion, peeled and minced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 cup parsley, minced
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped (optional)
pitas
lettuce

In a large bowl, toss together the turkey, apple, celery, onion, cranberries, salt, pepper, and parsley. Add the yogurt and mayonnaise and stir until everything is covered. If eating right away, stir in the walnuts, if using. Otherwise, add the walnuts when you make your pita (try not to forget!).

Place lettuce in each pita and stuff full of turkey salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!