Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black bean patties with mango salsa

I make these black bean patties (or "burgers") on a fairly frequent rotation. I used to have a lot of trouble with them falling apart, but after many tries I think that I've gotten them to a consistency that works. I serve these patties with a variety of condiments -- chipotle mayo, various salsas, and just regular old lettuce, tomato, and onion. This time I made a mango salsa. I also use this mango salsa for various dishes. I serve it as a condiment with grilled chicken or fish tacos. I also make it for a snack or dish to pass at parties with some corn chips -- it's always a hit. It's bright and flavorful. So even though I put them together this time, they can both be used in many ways. I really like having recipes like that under my belt. This will make three patties (About 4 inches in diameter) and 2 to 2-1/2 cups of salsa. 

Black bean patties
1 can (16 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon minced red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 large egg
1/3 cup whole grain bread crumbs
olive oil for cooking

In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add about 3/4 of the black beans along with the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper, salt, and hot sauce. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the ingredients together until the black beans turn into a "paste-like" texture. Stir in the breadcrumbs until well combined and gently fold in the remaining 1/4 of the black beans.

In a large skillet, warm about 1 tablespoon of olive oil until hot. Form three patties out of your black bean mixture and cook on both sides until golden and cooked through.

 

Mango salsa
1 ripe (but not over-ripe) mango, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 small red onion, peeled and diced
juice and zest of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until serving time. 


Serve the patties topped with the mango salsa. You can serve them on a toasted roll or flat bread (as pictured above) or without any bread. You can also add other toppings such as cheese, lettuce, lime/chipotle mayo, or anything else you feel like trying! The possibilities are really endless with these patties.

What was I cooking one year ago?: macademia coconut tart in a chocolate cookie crust

2 comments:

  1. Lovely healthy patties and I just love the mango salsa on top, looks too delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried to make patties with beans but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!