Monday, March 7, 2011

Vanilla Chai tea


We love tea and coffee of all kinds, but I think Chai is a favorite of both my husband and I. We always get a cup at the Indian restaurant and we make it from tea bags, but this was the first time I made myself. I really liked it. The spices were so warm and the smell was so inviting. The tea was creamy, spicy, and sweet. This recipe will make two servings of tea.

You can leave out the vanilla for a plain Chai tea, substitute green tea for a green Chai, or even add a sprinkle of cocoa for a chocolate Chai. You can play with it to make your favorite.

Vanilla Chai tea
1-3/4 cups water
1-2 tablespoons sugar
3 black tea bags
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
seeds from about 1-inch of a vanilla bean, or 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
5 cloves
4 cardamon pods, cracked open
10 black peppercorns
1-inch piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/3 cup milk 

In a small saucepan, heat the water with all the ingredients except for the milk over medium heat. You may want to start with only one tablespoon of sugar and add more to get to your preferred sweetness when serving. Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes and then add the milk. Continue to heat until the tea is hot, stirring occasionally. Strain the tea to remove all the spices and serve hot. Add more sugar or milk, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago? apple-spice oatmeal pancakes

1 comment:

I love to hear from you!