Monday, May 23, 2011

Carrot-mango-ginger smoothies

This drink is one I came up with for this month's Healing Foods event. This month features Sukham coolers. Sukham, according to this month's host, means well-being. As the weather continues to warm, I like to find new drinks and smoothies for us. These smoothies are simple to make and they contain three foods that have been featured in the healing foods event in the past: carrot, mango, and ginger. Carrots are high in many vitamins and anti-oxidants. Mangoes are high in vitamins A and C as well as dietary fiber. Ginger is also high in anti-oxidants. The combination of all three of these ingredients results in a sweet and slightly spicy drink that is refreshing and good for you, plus the color is lovely. Give it a try for breakfast or anytime of the day. This recipe will make enough for two servings. 

Carrot-mango-ginger smoothies
1 cup carrot juice (bought or made in a juicer)
1/2-3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mango, peeled
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used low-fat Greek)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
crushed ice

If you have a very powerful blender, you can add the ice and crush it in there. I'd say about 4-5 cubes is plenty. Otherwise, you can put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a mallet (or similar) and then add the broken down ice to your blender.

Then add all the ingredients to the blender and pulse until the mango is smooth and everything is well-combined. Taste for sweetness. Serve in glasses over ice (the ice "sticks" I have in the photo are from an ice cube tray I got to make ice that will fit into water bottles - it's a really handy tool!).


What was I cooking one year ago?: roasted asparagus and goat cheese salad with honey-balsamic vinaigrette

3 comments:

  1. Oh I would love this! My favorite juice is carrot apple ginger, would love this smoothie even more! Looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Carrot, apple, and ginger sounds really good, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not big on trends either so I usually try to avoid them. But I would definitely try this smoothie! It sounds amazing and sweet and creamy.
    Vitamix

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!