Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chicken, mushroom, and millet skillet

I found this meal on the Whole Foods website when I was searching for ways to use millet that I had recently purchased. This was the first time I cooked with millet and the first time I had eaten it. I buy millet a lot for my cockatiel, but had not thought of eating it myself until I saw it and its health benefits popping up all over the place. Millet is a seed and can be used in food similarly to quinoa or rice. The taste of the millet is slightly nutty and had a unique texture. I am glad that we gave it a try and I will be looking for more millet recipes (any suggestions?).

This is a complete meal in one skillet - I love those kinds of meals. The recipe below is my slightly modified version of the Whole Foods recipe. I added some lemon because many of the comments suggested it and I think it was a good move. Give this meal a try. It should serve about four people, depending on age and appetite, of course.


Chicken, mushroom, and millet skillet
olive oil for cooking
about 1-1/2 lbs skinless and boneless chicken thighs (and/or breasts)
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1/2 to 3/4 lbs crimini mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked millet
1/3 cup dry white wine or vermouth
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
3 tightly packed cups of baby spinach (or swiss chard or kale chopped)
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, optional 
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Season one side of the chicken with salt and pepper and place them (seasoned side down) in the skillet when hot. Season the other side and turn the chicken to brown both sides. When both sides are browned, remove then from the pan and set aside on a plate (do this in two batches, if necessary).

Add more olive oil if needed and add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown. Remove from the pan (place on another plate). Next, add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to turn translucent. Then add the garlic and millet to the pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Return the mushrooms to the pan and season the mixture with salt, pepper, and the thyme. Stir well and then add the wine/vermouth. Stir to deglaze the pan and remove all the good brown bits. Add the lemon juice and let cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and return the chicken to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.

Cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the millet is tender (most of the liquid will be absorbed). Stir in the spinach and lemon zest and check for salt and pepper. Once the spinach begins to wilt it is ready to eat. Top with the fresh parsley, if using, and serve.


What was I cooking one year ago?: homemade granola bars

2 comments:

  1. One-pan meals are great. I haven't tried millet yet - good to know you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Millet is definitely unique in its taste and texture, but you should give it a try. I love trying out new grains to use in place of the usual starches like potatoes, rice, or pasta (although I do love all of those, too!).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!