Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spinach, strawberry, and feta salad

It's time to begin shifting over from the heavier comfort foods of the cold weather months to the lighter and fresher foods of the warmer weather months. I love spring and the start of everything new again. It is so nice to again be surrounded by green and open the windows for fresh air. 

I always like to try to come up with salads that are a bit different and that contain a variety of ingredients (i.e., not just vegetables) to make them more enticing to eat and satisfying. I have always loved spinach salads and raw, slightly bitter spinach goes so well with many fruits. I have also been learning that many cheeses and fruits pair together so nicely and feta is one of the best. I love the saltiness of it with the sweetness of the fruit. As with other salads, I will only list the ingredients. You can make the salad in the size you want (e.g., side dish, light dinner) and with the proportions of each ingredient that you like. 

Spinach, strawberry, and feta salad
baby spinach
strawberries, halved or quartered
sliced almonds, lightly toasted
red onion, thinly sliced
feta, crumbled

for the dressing:
1 part white wine or champagne vinegar
2 parts extra virgin olive oil
dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
poppy seeds, optional

Mix all of the salad ingredients together in the size, quantity, and proportion you want.

Whisk together to dressing ingredients or shake them together in a jar. Pour over the salad and serve.


What was I cooking one year ago?: slow cooker jambalaya

1 comment:

I love to hear from you!