June 18, 2011

Banana and pineapple sage smoothies

Banana and pineapple sage smoothie in a glass.

These smoothies are something I've been making for a few years, but only when I'm lucky enough to find a pineapple sage plant for my herb garden. I found this recipe all over the internet years ago when I was first trying to find ways to use this interesting herb. 

I've slightly modified this recipe over the years to the one below. This smoothie has a tropical taste from the pineapple sage and the banana. I love fresh herbs and finding interesting ways to use them in my food. Use the smallest, newest leaves as they have the most pineapple flavor. It's perfect for a breakfast or brunch drink on a warm morning.

 I love the combination of the fruit with fresh herbs in a drink. This recipe will make two servings.


Banana and pineapple sage smoothies
1 large, ripe banana, cut into chunks
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup milk of your choice
about 1 tablespoon honey
pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon roughly chopped pineapple sage leaves
crushed ice

You can first crush your ice in the blender if you have a good, powerful one. Otherwise, you can crush it in a plastic bag with a mallet or small pan.

Add all of the ingredients to the blender and puree until smooth. Taste for sweetness and adjust if needed. Serve in chilled glasses, with additional ice, if desired. Top with some small pineapple sage leaves and/or a dash of nutmeg, if desired.

Glass of a pineapple sage and banana smoothie.

1 comment:

  1. that's look so yummy and juicy, right after a busy day ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!