Thursday, July 28, 2011

Green pea curry with mint rice

In May, I was lucky enough to be one of the winners for the Healing Foods event. That event featured Sukham coolers and my entry was a carrot-mango-ginger smoothie. As a winner that month, I received a wonderful cookbook Sukham Ayu, a wonderful Ayurvedic cookbook of healthy, vegetarian, Indian recipes. I was very happy to receive this book because it is one I probably never would have sought out on my own, but now that I have it, I'm glad I do. As soon as I received it in the mail, I marked these these two recipes as my first ones to try. They are slightly modified to accommodate ingredients that I could find easily and to feed only my husband and myself (though we did have enough leftovers still for one lunch). These recipes were fun to make and they were packed full of flavor. I am glad that have the opportunity to try recipes like these as I learn to cook more types of foods. I encourage you to give these a try and to check out the event and the cookbook if you are interested.

 Mint rice
1 cup Basmati rice
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
sea salt to taste
1/2 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut (I used dried)
4 garlic cloves
1 green chili
1 tablespoon butter
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 cloves
5 black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

Rinse the rice and then soak it for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a food processor, combine the mint, cilantro, coconut, garlic, and chili. Grind until a paste forms (add a touch of water, if needed).

In a heavy bottom pot with a tight fitting lid, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, and cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle, reduce the heat to low and add the onions. Cook until they turn translucent. Then add the paste from the food processor. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

Add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cups of warm water along with the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 40 minutes, check your rice package directions). Let sit for about 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Remove the cinnamon stick, cloves, and peppercorns.


While the rice cooks, make the curry 

Green pea curry
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1-inch piece ginger root, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh coconut (I used dried)
1 tablespoon shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
sea salt, to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1-1/2 cups fresh shelled green peas, boiled until just turning soft
cilantro, for garnish

Heat the butter in a large skillet or wok. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, and sunflower seeds. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Place these in a food processor with the coconut and grind into a paste (add a touch of water, if needed). Return to the skillet and cook for another 2-3 minutes over low heat, stirring often.

Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cayenne and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

Add the boiled peas, mint, salt, and one cup of warm water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves.


Serve the curry over the mint rice. Garnish with extra mint or cilantro, of desired.

What was I cooking one year ago?: plum skillet cake

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me that I need to cook more Indian food! That mint rice sounds delicious and I bet it would go well with many different main courses.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!