Monday, July 11, 2011

Korean marinated beef lettuce wraps

These wraps were inspired by a jar of raw, organic, lacto-fermented Kim Chee I was lucky enough to find that is made by a NY farm. I love their sauerkraut - they have so many different kinds. This is the first time I found their Kim Chee. I've never had authentic Kim Chee, but I imagine it's a bit different. This Kim Chee was full of cabbage, carrots, and ginger - and it was delicious. It was the perfect sour-tangy-crunchy compliment to the wrap. I found the recipe for the beef in my copy of Gourmet Today. Below is my slightly modified version. These wraps were not only tasty, but they were fun to eat, too. I liked using the fresh lettuce for a wrap instead of a tortilla - it was a nice change. They should serve about four people.

Korean marinated beef lettuce wraps
1 lb flank or sirloin streak, very thinly sliced against the grain
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Asian sesame sauce
4 scallions thinly sliced on the bias, greens and whites kept separate
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon chili sauce
olive oil for cooking 

for serving:
Boston or bibb lettuce leaves 
1 cup jasmine rice, cooked to package directions
Kim Chee
chili sauce
cilantro leaves

Reserve the scallion greens. Mix together all the marinade ingredients (soy sauce to chili sauce) in a medium bowl. Add steak, toss to coat, and marinate for about 15 minutes. 

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the steak and marinade and cook until it is browned on both sides (it will only take a few minutes). When the steak is finished, remove from heat.

Take a lettuce leaf and fill the bottom with some rice. Top with beef, scallion greens, and as many or as little of the accompaniments of your choice. Fold the lettuce wrap and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These are extremely tasty and fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!