Saturday, August 13, 2011

Honey dew-cucumber-basil coolers

I made this drink during the heat wave we had a couple of weeks ago. We were enjoying a lot of fruit drinks and smoothies during that time to help combat the heat. It has been a lot more pleasant in terms of temperature recently; however, this drink is something you can enjoy all summer no matter how hot it is. I didn't strain this drink, but rather left it "pulpy" because that is how my husband prefers his juices. I am not a big fan of pulp, so if you are like me, you can pour the drink through a fine sieve, pushing it down with a wooden spoon to get out all the juices (making it more like this agua fresca). Either way, the combination of refreshing cucumber and sweet honey dew is delicious, and it's made even more interesting by the addition of fresh basil. This recipe will make two servings. 

Honey dew-cucumber-basil coolers
1 cup diced honey dew
1 cup diced cucumber (I leave on the skin)
1/2 cup ice water
juice of 1/2 a lime
about 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil leaves

Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Strain if desired. Serve in chilled glasses with ice and garnish with a cucumber slice, if desired.

What was I cooking one year ago?: dill pickle chips

3 comments:

  1. Looks so refreshing and delicious! I bet it would make a great cocktail mixer too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I definitely think it would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and refreshing drink! Love this shade of green!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!