Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Roasted salsa verde

Salsa verde is something that I always enjoy - but, I've never tried to make it myself. I buy it all the time when I'm making enchiladas or for a snack. This time, I decided to make it rather than buy it because I found some tomatillos at the grocery store. I decided to cook the ingredients in the broiler so that there would be some black-roasted goodness on the veggies. The salsa was easy to make and tasted really fresh. You can serve this salsa as a snack with some corn chips or as a topping for your favorite tacos, enchiladas, or burritos. This recipe will make about 2.5 cups of salsa.

Roasted salsa verde
about 1 lb tomatillos
1 jalapeno
1/2 medium white onion
2 cloves garlic
about 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup cilantro
juice of one lime
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Preheat the broiler. Cut the tomatillos in half (or quarters if large). Cut the jalapeno in quarters (remove seeds and pith for a mild salsa). Quarter the onion. Toss the tomatillo, jalapeno, onion, and garlic in the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and top with some salt and pepper.

Place under the broiler and cook for about 8-10 minutes (turning once about halfway through), or until everything gets soft and has the blackened look. Place everything in a blender along with the water (start with about 1/4 cup), cilantro, and lime juice. Blend until smooth, adding more water, if necessary, to get the proper consistency. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.

Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: spicy eggplant and Thai basil stir fry

2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! I love the idea of roasting the veggies.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!