Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Apple crumb tart

Here is another recipe that helped me make a little bit more of a dent in my bushel of apples we picked. Apple picking is such a great way to celebrate the fall, especially with kids. It's such a simple pleasure and I love to be able to take my little cousin along with our niece and nephew. They have such a fun time and I like that they get to learn a little bit about where apples and apple cider actually come from. Also, all the apples we get are provide me with lots of inspiration for new apple dishes. I loved this tart because it is like an apple pie and an apple crumble merged together. The filling was sweet, but also a bit tart from the combination of apples. Cinnamon and nutmeg provided the warm spices you expect in an apple dessert. This tart is a nice fall dessert, perfect after a fun day outside picking apples or pumpkins, or after a nice weekend meal. Pair it with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream for an even more delicious treat (especially while the tart is still warm).


Apple crumb tart
Apple filling
about 4 good baking apples (Granny Smith, Jonagold, Gala - a combination is best), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
juice of half a lemon
2 teaspoons white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unbleached granulated cane sugar

Crumb topping
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces 

Tart shell
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup ice water

In a medium-large bowl, gently toss together all of the ingredients for the apple filling. Set aside.

In a small bowl, add all of the crumb topping ingredients. Using your fingers, work together the ingredients until they are all combined and the butter is distributed throughout. Small balls should form and it should look "crumbly." Place in the refrigerator.

Lastly, make the tart shell. Stir together all of the ingredients into a medium bowl. Use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Using parchment paper and/or some excess flour to prevent sticking, roll the dough out into about a 10-inch circle and then place it into a 9-inch tart pan. Ensure that all of the bottom and sides are covered. Trim off any excess over the sides (use in other places, if needed).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

When the tart shell in ready, place it on a baking sheet. Gently pour all of the apple filling into it and spread it around. It is OK if it is slightly heaped because it will sink down a little as the apples cook. Next, add the crumb topping. Gently squish together the crumb topping to create small balls/clumps. Sprinkle evenly over the apple filling.

Place into the oven on the center rack and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until the apples begin to bubble and the topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes on a wire rack. Slice and serve warm. Tightly cover and refrigerate any leftovers. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: peanut butter oatmeal cookies

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that this has a tart shell and a crumb topping - two times the goodness, I guess! I have a nice apple lemon bread on my blog if you are still looking for recipes for that bushel of apples.... I did not pick this year, unfortunately for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple picking is definitely one of my favorite fall activities as well! Partly because the apples taste so much more delicious than any you can find in the store...and partly because of all the baking you "HAVE" to do afterward. This pie looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I haven't made it out apple picking this season, but I've been buying lots of apples at the farmers' markets and just made my first apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, I saw your lemon bread and it looked delicious. Joanne, I agree - it's rough when I "have" to find ways to bake up all these apples! Ranjani, your apple pie is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!