Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ginger-vanilla pear sauce

While I do love making applesauce each year after apple picking, this year I thought I would also try some pear sauce. I picked up some Bartlett pears at the farmer's market and thought about how I wanted to spice up the pears to differentiate this sauce from the applesauce I make. I really like ginger and pear together so I decided to try fresh ginger root in the sauce. Then I decided that some vanilla bean would also work nicely in this sauce. The mellow and sweet pears combined with some sugar, spicy ginger, and savory vanilla creates a complex sauce that is sure to surprise people expecting the usual cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. I made a smaller batch of this to give it a try, but will make a bigger one next time. The recipe will make about 3 cups of sauce, depending on the size of your pears. You can easily make a larger batch and then put it in freezer containers (I have a container frozen to thaw out for Thanksgiving dinner) to have pear sauce all season.

Ginger-vanilla pear sauce
8-10 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
about 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger root
about 1-inch of vanilla bean, split with seeds scraped out (or two teaspoons pure vanilla extract)
about 1/3 cup granulated unbleached cane or turbinado sugar

In a medium-large pot, combine all of the ingredients over medium heat. Stir occasionally and cook until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until the pears are soft and the sauce is thickened. Taste for sugar and add more, if needed. Using a potato masher, mash the pears to your desired consistency (you could also use a hand blender or regular blender for a smoother sauce).

Serve the sauce warm or at room temperature. You may also serve it cold. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week. Alternatively, preserve your pear sauce by putting in freezer containers in the freezer. This sauce makes a great side to any fall or winter meal.




3 comments:

  1. Looking through your blog is just making me drool mMMmm. And this sauce sounds absolutely delicious!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm generally not such a fan of the texture of pears but I bet as a sauce, I would love them! The vanilla and ginger were awesome additions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to make a pear sauce- what a good idea! Especially with the addition of ginger and vanilla in there.

    http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!