Monday, October 31, 2011

Maple glazed pumpkin cake


I saw this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs recently and knew that it would be a perfect dessert for my Halloween/Octoberfest dinner I made over the weekend for a few family members. I'm not usually a big cake making person, but this one looked so good and so easy, plus the ingredients were healthier than most cakes - so I figured I'd give it a try. The cake turned out nicely. It was a pretty dense cake, probably from all the eggs. I like the combination of pumpkin and maple and this cake uses olive oil as its fat, which is a nice change. 


If you are looking for a fall dessert, give this one a try. I think it would be a nice addition to Thanksgiving as well. It will pair nicely with a cup of hot apple cider or tea. Below is my modified version of the original recipe posted on Healthy Green Kitchen. The original recipe calls for all organic products. I rarely specifically call for organic in the recipes on my blog, but it is what I use as much as I can. I encourage you to use organic products as much as possible as well.

Maple glazed pumpkin cake
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus another 1/2 cup reserved
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Rub a light coating of olive oil in an 8-inch round cake pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour though nutmeg).

In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin through olive oil) until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined.

Pour into the cake pan and bake for about 45-55 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly. Cool for about 10 minutes and then gently remove from the pan. Place on a plate/cake stand.

Cook the reserved 1/2 cup of maple syrup in a small pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and let it cook until it reduces and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Let cool for a minute and then drizzle over the cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
 

What was I cooking one year ago?: chili with pumpkin and black beans

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving that sweet comment! What a cake this is! Pumpkin and maple are a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake sounds lovely! The maple glaze especially sounds yummy. Great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the shout-out to my cake! I am glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I really love pumpkin and maple together and everyone liked the cake at my Halloween/Octoberfest dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks scrumptious. We should totally try it with Max and Tristan's new Double Cream Pumkin Chevre and whip it with honey and ice this baby with it! Nom Nom Nom!!!
    And thank you for adding my blog to your list, it's nice to see fellow food bloggers supporting each other! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!