Monday, October 10, 2011

Wheat berry waldorf salad

This is one of what will probably be many apple recipes I'll be posting in the near future. We brought home a bushel this past weekend from our apple picking adventure, an upstate New York tradition. I already made my batch of applesauce and froze some for Thanksgiving dinner. So now I'll be looking for other creative ways to use some more. This salad only used one apple...but, that's OK. This recipe is similar in ingredients to turkey waldorf salad pitas I've posted before; however, the base of this salad is wheat berries. The wheat berries are nutty and have a great texture that I enjoy. 

I'll very much welcome anyone who wants to share their favorite fall recipes for apples! 

Wheat berry waldorf salad
1 cup uncooked wheat berries
about 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons honey
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 rib celery, diced
1 firm apple, cored and diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts, roughly chopped

Cook the wheat berries according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.

In a medium-large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon zest/juice, honey, salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl along with the wheat berries. Toss together until everything is coasted with the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Enjoy this salad at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.


What was I cooking one year ago?: shiitake mushroom and barley soup

3 comments:

  1. I am pretty much apple-obsessed so I can't wait to see what recipes you post! this waldorf sounds like a great way to start...especially with my favorite grain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never cooked wheat berries, but I love them. This salad looks so good- all my favorite flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, a very healthy and tasty salad!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!