November 23, 2011

Ginger-clementine cranberry sauce

Cranberry sauce is something I make every year for Thanksgiving. I've never been a fan of the canned cranberry sauce "log" so I started making sauce with real cranberries years ago. However, I realized that I use the same recipe every year and always make cranberry-orange sauce (which, by the way, I posted here exactly one year ago). I love that recipe, but I decided to change-up my cranberry sauce a little by making it a slightly spicy sauce featuring ginger. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors and I thought that it would be nice to bring it into my Thanksgiving dinner. I've been seeing a lot of cranberry sauce/relish recipes with ginger recently that helped me decide to try the change.

Cranberry sauce is one of the Thanksgiving meal items you can make ahead of time and refrigerate for a couple of days. Those dishes are nice because it's one less thing you need to make the day of your meal. Plus, cranberry sauce is easy and ready in a snap. It's worth making yourself. We have more people coming for our dinner this year, so this recipe will serve about 8-10 people as a Thanksgiving side (and hopefully some leftovers to go on a turkey sandwich). I like my cranberries to remain a little on the tart side, but feel free to add more (or less) sugar according to your taste. 

Ginger-clementine cranberry sauce
2 bags (24-oz. total) fresh cranberries
juice and zest of 2 clementines 
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
about 1/2 cup turbinado sugar

Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce comes to a boil and cranberries begin to burst. Continue to cook and stir, until the sauce reaches your desired consistency (add a little water or more clementine juice if it is too thick). Remove from heat, let cool, and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

4 comments:

  1. I never tried homemade cranberry sauce until about 2 years ago but now I am hooked! I am going to making some tomorrow! I like the idea of adding ginger to the sauce and giving the sauce a little spice!

    Your blog is great and I am a new follower!

    I would love it if you stopped by my food blog some time and checked it out. This is the link: http://twomindscookalike.blogspot.com

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you so much for your entry, sauce looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally put ginger in my cranberry sauce every year and it's kind of the best thing ever. Now I'm going to have to try the addition of clementines also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Sounds and looks delicious! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!