Sunday, December 18, 2011

Eggnog-glazed nutmeg sugar cookies

I've never been a huge fan of eggnog...until this year, this is. I've found these small containers of eggnog from a local farm that are absolutely delicious. The eggnog is not very thick, but yet it's super creamy. It's full of nutmeg and cinnamon flavors. The best part? It doesn't have any added ingredients that you find in most commercial eggnog like guar gum, "spices," "flavoring," or high fructose corn syrup. So, this season, we've really been enjoying our eggnog (especially with a bit of rum and ice). When I found a recipe for these cookies from Better Home and Gardens (via Pinterest), I just knew that they'd be a perfect new cookie to try this year. I was right. These cookies are sweet, but the spice of the nutmeg counters the sweetness well. They don't taste overly like eggnog, but have just a hint of it as the spices are reminiscent of the holiday drink.

As usual, I did change the recipe a bit. The original recipe says that it will make two dozen cookies, but I think this is very dependent on the size of your cookie cutter. At this point, I've only baked off half of the dough (I'll bake the other half later in the week) and I already have almost two dozen cookies. My star cookie cutter is about 2-ish inches in diameter, and the original used a 3-inch diameter round cookie cutter - so it really makes a difference. I cut down the icing/glaze a bit as well because I don't like it thick. And, for good measure, I added a little rum to it! If you want to use/view the original recipe, you can find it at the above link.


Eggnog-glazed nutmeg sugar cookies
cookies:
1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar (preferably unbleached)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 freshly grated nutmeg (or 3/4 teaspoon pre-ground)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon eggnog
1/2 vanilla bean (or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract) 
3-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

glaze:
1 cup icing/powdered sugar
about 1 tablespoon eggnog
1 teaspoon rum (or substitute vanilla extract)

Using a stand mixer or an hand mixer, beat the butter for about 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Beat until combined. Add the egg and eggnog. Split the vanilla bean using a sharp knife and carefully scrape out all of the inside/pulp and add it (or add the vanilla extract). Continue to beat until combined.

Begin to add the flour, about 1 cup at a time. If the dough becomes too difficult to mix with the mixer, use a wooden spoon to combine the remaining flour. Divide the dough in half and form it into a disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Begin with one disc of dough. Roll it out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut the dough with the cookie cutter(s) of your choice. Using a thin metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the baking sheets. Bake for approximately 7-8 minutes, until the bottoms and edges are slightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Continue these steps until all the dough is used.

Once the cookies are cooled, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. You may need to add more icing sugar or eggnog to get the desired consistency. Spread the cookies with the glaze. Let the cookies fully dry. Store in an airtight container for up to three days, or freeze. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies

7 comments:

  1. I love the flavours you have in this cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sugar cookies with eggnog glaze look really pretty. My husband loves eggnog so I might have to make these for him and make him happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to look out for some good all-natural eggnog in my supermarket so that I can make these! I can't bear to purchase the processed stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty cookies! Bet they're delicious with the flavor of eggnog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggnog flavored anything! These are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those eggnog star cookies look scrumpy and festive!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!