Monday, December 12, 2011

Sesame-cranberry cookies


These are my first Christmas cookies of the season! I always have trouble choosing my cookies because there are the traditional ones that I want to include every year (like rosemary shortbread Christmas trees) but then I find a bunch of new ones that I want to include, too. I like to bake a variety of cookies and to stagger them throughout the month so that we don't have too many all at once. I made these cookies for a work gathering so we only ate a couple of them ourselves. This was a new recipe that I found and I was unsure how they would turn out because they don't have a lot of the traditional cookie ingredients -- not a lot of flour, no baking soda/powder, no eggs... What I really loved about these cookies is that they were low in sugar and they used maple syrup for their sweetener. So, I would say as far as cookies go, these are a relatively healthier choice than some...

These cookies had a hint of maple taste, a tang of cranberry, and a really nutty taste from all the toasted sesame seeds. The combination was good and they weren't overly sweet, which is nice this time of year when there are so many sweet treats. Also, they are a snap to make - perfect for a last minute party treat or easy holiday dessert! The below recipe will make about 20-22 cookies. 

Sesame-cranberry cookies
1 cup dried cranberries
hot water
1 cup oats
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup sesame seeds
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup real maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cranberries in a small bowl and cover them with the hot/almost boiling water. Let sit for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pulse the oats, flour, and salt in a food processor until the oats are fine and the consistency of the flour. In a small pot, heat the butter over low heat, whisking often, until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the syrup and vanilla. Drain the cranberries.

Pour the flour/oat mixture into a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and the cranberries. Stir together with a wooden spoon until combined.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into small balls and then slightly flatten into about 1.5-inch discs. Place on the parchment paper (about 1-inch apart). Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes, until they just begin to turn golden and you can smell the sesame. The bottoms of the cookies will be golden. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: gingerbread pancakes with clementine-yogurt sauce
Two years ago?: southwest pumpkin soup

7 comments:

  1. Sesame is one of my favorite things to add to cookies so I know I'd love these! The maple is such a delicious addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this combination of ingredients in a cookie recipe before...very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sesame covered cookies are an Italian tradition and I love the sound of this twist on them! They must be super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had sesame seeds and cranberries together but I can imagine how good they taste together! These cookies look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the sounds of these, but i might be a tad more smitten thinking of your rosemary shortbread :) both are great additions to the cookie repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this sesame crusted cookie, looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about it being hard to choose what cookies to make! There are some I always like to make but can't resist trying out new ones! I usually freeze them all, then take them out as needed. :) I love the sound of these sesame cranberry cookies. They'd be good with tea!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!