Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sweet and spiced glazed mixed nuts


These are probably one of the most addictive snacks I've ever made (or eaten). In one bite you get sweetness from the maple and brown sugar glaze, spice from the cayenne and cinnamon, and the saltiness from the healthy sprinkling of sea salt. One top of that, you have some wintery herbs mixed in there and the different textures and tastes of the rich nuts. I love the little flecks of green herbs stuck all over these nuts. I think the herbs set them apart from most glazed/spiced nuts that I've had. I've made this recipe the last two years to give away as a Christmas gift to some family members. Last year, I made only one batch and my husband and I had to pack it up right away to keep from eating it all before we could give it out. This year, I made a double batch so we could keep this small bowl for ourselves and still have enough for gifts. Everyone who received a container of these nuts seemed pretty excited (and most were sampling them immediately). I love that these nuts are something different from all the baked goods and sweets that are (still) surrounding me, too.

You can change up the nuts in here to include your favorite(s), or you can even do all of one kind if you prefer. I adapted this recipe from Not without Salt and it is a pretty forgiving recipe. You can change up some of the spices, too. While it may be too late for Christmas gifts this year, it's definitely not too late to work these into your New Year's party or as a host gift for any holiday gatherings you have remaining. Just be sure to make enough for yourself, too. 


Sweet and spiced glazed mixed nuts
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup real maple syrup
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon finely minced fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 egg white
about 1-1.5 pounds raw mixed nuts (I used cashews, almonds, pecans, and walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small pot combine the butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are melted and well-combined. Remove from the heat and whisk in the herbs, spices, and 1 teaspoon of salt.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Add the nuts and toss until they are coated. Add the glaze and continue to stir until they are well coated.

Spread the nuts evenly on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, stirring about every 5. They are finished when the glaze is golden and dry and you can smell the nuts. Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with more salt. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: cranberry-almond couscous salad
Two years ago?: carrot soup with orange

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love addition of the herbs in these. also, the maple syrup. Definitely have that sweet and savory thing going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bookmarked this recipe - I love, love, love maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be great for apperetifs. Will certainly save this recipe. Best wishes for the New year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, these look delicious! I would get into big trouble with these. It's the kind of thing I wouldn't be able to stop eating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nuts do look so tempting and completely addicting! They have a ton of great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound addictively dangerous...which means I absolutely need them in my life. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of giving nuts instead of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a serious nut junkie! I usually eat them raw, but roasting them with spices is such a delicious treat -- great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You added all the right seasonings. These could be addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. got to taste those amazing nuts...:D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!