Friday, February 3, 2012

Salted peanut butter-honey cookies


I've been slacking on blog-worthy food lately. I've been feeling under the weather and tired, so the food I've been cooking has been either old standbys or soups I've already shared on here... But, recently I felt an intense desire to bake something. So, I was digging through the cupboards and refrigerator to see what I could make with what I had on hand. I decided to make some peanut butter cookies and instead of sugar, I used honey. Since the honey is so sweet, I thought that instead of sprinkling sugar on top as is often done with peanut butter cookies, that I'd use a little sea salt instead. The results were yummy and definitely took care of my baked good craving. Plus these cookies are a cinch to make. This recipe will make about 14-16 cookies.

Salted peanut butter-honey cookies
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup honey (I used wildflower)
1/2 cup 100% natural chunky peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the honey and peanut butter until smooth. Add the dry ingredient to the wet and stir until combined.

Gently roll about 1 tablespoon amounts of the batter and place onto the baking sheet. Gently press down the middle of the cookie using the tongs of a fork to make a criss-cross pattern. Sprinkle with some sea salt.

Bake for approximately 12-13 minutes, or until they just begin to turn golden. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: Meyer lemon polenta cake
Two years ago?: baked egg ramekins

17 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I may have to make some heart-shaped versions for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are perfect!!! Simple, good ingredients. Definitely a cookie to dip in milk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies sound delicious...especially with the seasalt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salty peanut butter cookies! Completely irresistible. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These honey peanut butter cookies look tasty & so tempting. I love peanut butter & anything with honey & on top of that you've sprinkle some sea salt, sounds heavenly yummy! I hope you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies do look delicious. I really like the fact that you used whole wheat flour and natural peanut butter. These are a tasty one for the cookie jar.
    Also, thanks for popping in on my blog and commenting. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm talk about sweet and salty perfection! I see PB cookies all the time, but the honey is a new twist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these honey cookies look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm...I wish I had a few of these cookies here right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love salted peanut butter cookies! So good with a glass of cold milk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound so good, I have all those ingredients on hand, so this is happening here very soon :) thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies look great, and I love the idea of sprinkling them with salt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know never know these cookies came from a LACK of food inspiration! They sound so delicious! I love all things peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i hope your feeling better. These cookies sound love, know my husband would love them - anything with peanut butter. I'm presently making some flapacks for my journey down south - using storecupboard ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PB cookies are such a classic. Love the honey twist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sure these cookies would make you feel a lot better! They look delicious! Hope you are feeling better by now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gotta love simple baking recipes!! These look great! Love the idea of using honey instead of sugar, especially with salted tops. Really brings out the salted peanut flavor, I'd imagine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!