Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mexican spiced bean and egg breakfast stacks


When I saw Marx Foods was having a Beans for Breakfast recipe contest, I was excited because around here we love our hearty breakfasts, especially on the weekends. I think beans are a great way to incorporate protein into your breakfast and to make it filling and healthy. I received three types of dry beans to work with to create a breakfast recipe: Adzuki beans, Mayacoba (or Canary) beans, and Marrow beans. I thought about making a sweet pastry with the Adzuki beans, which is how they are traditionally used in Asian cuisine, or using just the Marrow beans in a breakfast application since their flavor is reminiscent of bacon... But, since these three beans have different tastes and textures, I wanted to use them all combined in one dish rather than focus on just one or two of the beans. I'm glad I did because this was a hearty and delicious breakfast and the beans went so well with the Mexican flavors and spices. Using all three beans provided an interesting mix of textures and flavors.


I really enjoy beans, breakfast, and Mexican food so I was inspired to use the beans in a recipe that featured some Mexican flavors. I had a beautifully ripe avocado and some farm fresh organic eggs that really helped to pull me into this direction. I wanted to keep this meat-free so I could really focus on the bean flavors, which worked great. I also kept the spices mild since it is breakfast and I really wanted the beans to be the focus of the dish. I loved how the Marrow beans and Mayacoba beans really held their texture, but were creamy at the same time. The Adzuki beans became very creamy and the three blended together into a cohesive dish very well. This recipe will serve four people. 

Mexican spiced bean and egg breakfast stacks
for the spiced beans:
1/3 cup dry Adzuki beans
1/3 cup dry Marrow beans
1/3 cup dry Mayacoba beans
water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced into bite-sized pieces
5 scallions, whites and greens, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground coriander
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes with juices (I used cherry)
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro 

for the stack:
4 corn tortillas
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese

for serving (any or all that you like): 
extra cilantro
sliced avocado
your favorite hot sauce or salsa
Mexican crema or sour cream

Rinse the dried beans and then place them in a bowl with double their amount of cold (preferably filtered) water. Soak overnight (at a minimum of eight hours). Drain and rinse again.

In a heavy-bottom skillet (with a lid), heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the poblano pepper and scallions. Stir and let cook about 4-5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, and garlic. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the Marrow and Mayacoba beans along with 2 cups of water. Stir well and bring to a boil. Then add the Adzuki beans and let it come to a boil again, reduce to a simmer, and cover.

Let the beans cook for about 45 minutes to one hour, stirring occasionally and adding more water, if needed (check occasionally to see how much the beans are absorbing). When the beans are fork-tender, begin to prepare the rest of the stack ingredients.

Heat the corn tortillas in a dry skillet until hot and golden on both sides. Place one on each plate. Top each with a layer of shredded cheese. Stir the cilantro into the beans, season with salt and pepper, and then place a layer of beans on top of the cheese. Top each with an egg - I did over-easy eggs, but you can do sunny-side-up or poached if you prefer. Top with extra cilantro and serve immediately with any of the other accompaniments (the avocado is highly recommended).

So what do you think - do you ever eat beans for breakfast? If not, will you give them a try?
 

Note: While Marx Foods provided me with the beans, all opinions expressed are my own. 

What was I cooking one year ago?: tarragon chicken
Two years ago?: chicken gyros

14 comments:

  1. What an incredible looking breakfast and it's so good for you but has amazing flavours! I will have to try this. Those types of beans you've used are foreign to me but I'm sure I can find a comparable here in Australia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it's like the ultimate breakfast tostada. This looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I haven't really tried beans for breakfast, but I love savory breakfasts so I am totally willing to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beans for breakfast? This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Amy, What a healthy and delicious breakfast. I love spicy and Mexican style flavors. Blessings my dear, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't - but I would! Especially with an egg over top like this! It looks incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog…I’m glad to meet you! Your blog is lovely and I hope to visit you often. I have added you to my google reader.
    Lovely breakfast…looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely have beans for breakfast, your dish looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is my kind of breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you used all three beans in your recipe! And way to start off the day with some mexican FLAVA. Sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally my kind of breakfast :) love the use of all three beans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beans for breakfast!! Totally delicious and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now, this looks amazing! I've gotta make this for me and my hubby this weekend!

    Thank you,

    Grandma Kat
    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tomorrow is Sunday - guess what I'm having. Can't wait - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!