April 3, 2012

Maple-pecan scones

Baked maple pecan scones.

Most people tend to associate maple with fall. I know that I do, even though I know better. Maybe it's because maple goes so well with the rest of fall's food like squash, sweet potatoes, and apples? Maybe it's because of the maple leaves associated with fall? I'm not sure. But, I do know that maple season is really in March. Around here, it's a pretty big deal. There's an official Maple Weekend, pancake breakfasts all over the place, and lots of freshly boiled maple syrup for sale. We always buy up gallon containers of maple syrup because I use maple in a lot of my cooking and baking. Recently, I was able to get some Grade B maple syrup (which has a deeper flavor and tends to be better for baking) from Beyers Maple Farm. Once I had the delicious Grade B syrup in my hand, I was inspired to bake something that would highlight the maple flavor. I decided on scones, because I had everything on hand for this recipe and thought it would be a lovely treat for a cool Sunday morning. 

These scones were delicious. They weren't too sweet, had a perfect amount of maple flavor, and an earthiness from the whole wheat flour and pecans. This recipe will make 8 scones. 

Maple-pecan scones
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 tablespoons lightly packed light brown sugar
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes 
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 large egg
1/3 cup pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
2 tablespoons milk 

for the glaze:
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours through brown sugar). Then, using a pastry blender, or your fingers, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in the pecans.

In a small bowl, lightly whisk together to egg, maple syrup, and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir until the dough just comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat it out into a disk. Cut across into 8 wedges. Place the wedges onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Keep them in the disk shape, but not touching one another.

Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool on the parchment paper and make the glaze. Cook the maple syrup and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until it becomes thick and reduces. Using a fork, drizzle the glaze over the scones the serve. Let the glaze dry fully and store any leftovers in an airtight container.

Serving plate of maple pecan scones.

19 comments:

  1. How sweet and tasty. Looks perfect for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived close to where maple syrup is made! It sounds delicious in these scones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I'll take maple any time of the year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the super early spring is going to cut Maple season short... 24 years of my life and I've never been to a sugar house for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound good enough to be a year long dish to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maple syrup season is kind of a big deal here too! Your scones look insanely yummy! A perfect treat for Easter morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like maple syrup and pecans on my pancakes and I love the fact you have used these delicious flavors in a scone. Also, these are a lot easier to take on the go than pancakes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although we don't have maple trees in Greece I am able to find maple syrup in one s/m not very close to my home. They import it from the US and I have tried it in many recipes. Your scones look delicious and it is a good chance for me to use my half bottle of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am drooling over the keyboard so early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the idea of the maple syrup glaze - sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm maple pecan, two of my favorite flavors in one! These sound to die for.
    P.S. In response to the comment you left on my Wegman's Finds post about having a Wegman's right around the corner...I'm so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scones; yours look perfect. Maple and pecan, I think this works at anytime of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maple & pecan are my favorites ! These will be my kind of scones! Looks great & what a great tea time treat! BTW, there's a surprise waiting for you at my blog! Do you wanna know what is it?? Then you have to come over & find out! *^

    ReplyDelete
  14. really healthy n yummy one.looks nice.nice blog vth yum recipes..visit mine when u r free dear.
    maha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maple season is indeed in March! Although the sap has been slowed by the early spring here - go figure. I've never thought to use maple in a scone and loving this - perfect with the pecans. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! Maple and pecan is one of my favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love maple, especially when it's paired with pecan. Your scones look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i absolutely adore the flavor of maple syrup, especially in a breakfast setting--these scones are terrific!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!