Sunday, April 22, 2012

Peanut chocolate chip cookies


So apparently April is my blog-slacking month. I feel it this year, and I looked back at the last two years and found that they were also low in posts. I think it's because April is one of those transition months. It's not really winter anymore and the spring foods are not yet ready in our neck of the woods. So it's kind of an uninspiring month for me at times. Especially when it's 70 degree one day and then after a weird winter of no snow, we're supposed to get 4-inches of snow the next day! That kind of weather does tend to make me feel like baking something though. I had bookmarked these cookies to make and decided to give them a try. What I most liked about these cookies is that they included chopped peanuts and a hint of peanut butter in them, rather than just adding chocolate chips to peanut butter cookies, or peanuts to chocolate chip cookies. I decided to use salted peanuts, too, which was a great idea. These cookies have just a hint of peanut butter flavor and some depth from the whole wheat flour. Then you add in the chocolate and salted peanuts which makes them extra special. 

I modified the original recipe to the one below. This recipe will make about 28 to 30 cookies. As much as I love cookies, I'm really looking forward to rhubarb, asparagus, peas, strawberries, and the rest of spring's produce arriving in western NY!

Chocolate chip peanut cookies
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unbleached fine cane sugar
1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky is fine)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup dry roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars with a wooden spoon until well-combined and slightly lighter in color. Beat in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla until well-combined and smooth.

Begin to add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in batches and stir until almost combined. Then add the peanuts and chocolate chips. Stir until combined.

Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter at a time and lightly roll into a ball. Place about 1-inch apart on the baking sheets. Slightly flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake for about 9-11 minutes, until the sides and bottoms just begin to turn golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.


What was I cooking one year ago?: roasted chicken with baby potatoes and tomatoes
Two years ago?: beef Pho

13 comments:

  1. These cookies look delicious! I am also so looking forward to all the wonderful Spring produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I moved to MN many years ago I often think, "April is the cruelest month" (thank-you T.S. Eliot) because there is a promise of spring, a hint and it's just not here yet. These cookies are the sanest way (and most delicious way) to deal with the lack of produce we are only dreaming about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to make cookies. I have yet to make a cookie with nuts (only peaNUT butter ;P)
    These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you about April - I also find it challenging to get inspired until spring produce shows up. And of course, baking is always a good way to bridge the seasonal gap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, these cookies look so flavorful with a touch of peanut butter and chocolate chips...like the idea of salted peanuts.
    Have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these cookies sound delicious. Who cares if you're blog slacking a bit. With the weather turning nicer, I assume more bloggers will be slacking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been cookie weather for the past few days and these would be most welcome! I love that you used salted peanuts -- bet it was the perfect balance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoying these cookies sounds like a great way to wait for spring to arrive! The salted nuts sound delicious in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is my favorite kind of cookie- looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a huge fan of these cookies, considering my major addiction to peanut butter! These look so, so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've felt strangely uninspired in the kitchen lately also, so I'm glad to hear it's not just me! love the sound of htese cookies...they make up for any lack of inspiration. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love how doughy these look :) i have been slacking/uninspired this month as well... maybe it's going around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as you still post delicious cookie recipes, I won't complain ;-) These cookies look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!