Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chicken shawarma wraps

  
Shawarma is something that my husband often orders when we go out to eat at our local falafel bar. The chicken is coated in Middle Eastern spices and yogurt and then cooked until golden. I'm not sure how authentic the recipe I found is, because all the ones I looked at varied. What I do know is that these wraps were flavorful and easy (and my husband gobbled his up!). Sometimes, that's all that matters!

I've been meaning to make my own pita bread and had all intentions of doing so for these wraps. Unfortunately, these got moved from the weekend to a weeknight, and there was no way I'd be able to make the pitas and have us eat before dark - even this time of year when it's light until almost 9:00 PM. Next time I need pitas though, I'm making them myself! Give this chicken shawarma a try. This recipe will serve two to three people, depending on how hungry they are.

Chicken shawarma wraps
about 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, divided
4 cloves minced garlic, divided
2 tablespoons minced parsley, divided
zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
good grind of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
extra virgin olive oil  

for serving:
pita bread
diced cucumber
diced tomato
thinly sliced onion

Grab a large bowl and a medium bowl. Place 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 3 cloves minced garlic, lemon zest, juice of half the lemon, 1 tablespoon parsley, salt, and remaining spices (through coriander) in the large bowl. Stir to combine, then add the chicken. Toss to coat and set aside for about 5 minutes.

Place the 1/3 cup of yogurt along with the remaining lemon juice, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate until serving time.

Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.

Serve immediately in the pitas topped with the yogurt sauce, cucumber, tomatoes, and onion.


What was I cooking one year ago?: spinach, strawberry, and feta salad

14 comments:

  1. Oh! So appetizing! Love to try this during the weekend with my family who love to eat something different for a change! No worries about the pitas, I'll buy them too if I can find it! LOL Have a nice day dear Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really quick and very tasty meal. Perfect for this summer when you don't want to spend a long time in a hot kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have ever heard of Swarma because of The Avengers! Hehe... I'm glad you posted a recipe, I am now well informed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just about lunch time as I'm looking at these photos, and just starving now! Too bad I don't have the ingredients on hand, but will plan to pick them up so I can make this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these flavor combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm adding another wow...looks mouthwatery..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big fan of wrap! Love the spiced fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo! I'd love to try these spices on chickpeas instead of the chicken. Looks like a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been on a massive pita-binge lately. This will help me eat even more! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to make pitas as well! They're so...flexible. You can positively use any kind of filling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never even thought of trying to make these at home. Looks like yours was restaurant quality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am loving all the different flavors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look incredible in the photos. Tasty post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a simple,but delicious dish! I have some chicken in my fridge...I am making this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!