June 21, 2012

Spiced lamb and pistachio kofta wraps


Lamb is something I've just recently discovered. I know I have had it a few times at restaurants over the years, especially Indian buffets and in gyros, but it's never been a big part of my diet. In fact, I don't think I ever had it until I was an adult. Now our grocery store (Wegmans) has free range, organic lamb and my in-laws sometimes raise lambs and share with us. So, I'm slowly incorporating it into my meals and am finding that I like it, especially when it's made into burgers, or spiced kofta (basically a meatball). The koftas were quick and easy to make - so these were perfect for a quick summer meal. You can either put the lamb onto a skewer and grill it, or cook it on your stove top grill pan, or skillet.

This recipe comes from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home cookbook (still one of my favorites) and it is one of my first lamb dishes I've made. My husband and I both enjoyed these wraps a lot. They were very flavorful and the spiced lamb was complimented well by the tangy, cool yogurt and the fresh vegetables. Below is my slightly modified recipe, which will make four wraps.


Spiced lamb and pistachio kofta wraps
about 1/3 cup shelled, salted pistachios
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
zest of 1 lemon (then cut lemon into wedges for serving)
good pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of fresh cracked black pepper
1 lb ground lamb
2 cups mixed salad greens, such as mixed baby Romaine
grape tomatoes, halved
about 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons plain whole milk yogurt
crumbled feta
4 large whole wheat flour tortillas (or flatbreads), warmed

Combine the pistachios, thyme, red pepper, cumin, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until the pistachios are broken down, but before they turn into a meal/powder. Place the mixture in a large bowl along with the ground lamb. Mix with your hands until combined and then form into about 1-inch balls. Then you can either place the koftas onto a skewer and grill until cooked through, or cook in a hot skillet with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil until cooked through.

When the lamb is finished, place about 3-4 koftas onto your tortilla along with some salad greens, tomatoes, mint leaves, onion, yogurt, and feta. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the top. Fold your wrap and enjoy.


What was I cooking one year ago?: five bean salad

12 comments:

  1. Looking at these photos is reminding me that I have to get the Jamie Oliver cookbook. His recipes are always wonderful! This dish looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great dish for a party since everyone could build their own wraps. Love the yogurt and feta on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a lamb lover before I went veg and to this day it's still the only meat I ever think about with nostalgia. These wraps sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so delicious and yummy. I love mediterranean food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the addition of pistachio here! Sounds really interesting and unique -- I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like lamb too but have actually never even prepared it at home! For some reason I am intimidated by it. But I think I can handle burgers or meatballs like this :) I especially like that it's dressed with yogurt and feta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had lamb since I made a lamb stew a month ago. I may have to make these to get the taste again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good. I always make my own kofta... hubby loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question: When you're eating a lamb, is it a fully grown sheep or a baby sheep? Something about eating baby animals just weirds me out (I don't eat veal either) so I've never tried lamb. Perhaps if it was a fully grown sheep and free range I'd try it though. This does look delish, perhaps I could sub for beef or pork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my in-laws raise sheep, they are fully grown when they are slaughtered; however, they are still young. I think that technically an adult sheep is called mutton when you eat it and young sheep are called lamb when you eat it...

      Delete
  10. What a fresh and delicious looking wrap! I love the spices and pistachios you added to the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Reminds me of some of the food we ate in Turkey recently

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!