July 24, 2012

Zucchini-corn fritters

Plate of zucchini corn fritters.

Finding ways to use up the abundance of zucchini and other vegetables is one of the fun parts of summer, right? Zucchini ends up being grated and put into everything once August hits... I recently read a summer squash fritter recipe on Aggie's Kitchen and it reminded me of fritters I ate as a kid filled with zucchini and corn. Once I remembered them, I couldn't get them out of my head until I made them. Since my basil plant is doing so well this year, I thought it would be a great herb to add to these fritters. Basil screams summer to me and I think it goes perfectly with both corn and zucchini. 

These little fritters are a great way to use up some of that zucchini and other summer squash. They are perfect for an appetizer, snack, or a side dish. This recipe will make about ten 2-3 inch fritters. They are good eaten topped with a sprinkle of sea salt, but even better topped with a dollop of sour cream. I'm already planning to make these again this week (and probably a couple more times this summer).

Top view of zucchini corn fritters.

  
Zucchini-corn fritters
2 large eggs 
1 medium zucchini, grated on a box grater
1 ear of corn, kernels cut off
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 scallions, thinly sliced
4-5 heaping tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper 
oil for frying
sour cream for serving, optional

Place the grated zucchini in a colander with a large pinch of salt. Toss well and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. Then squeeze well in a clean kitchen towel to get rid of most of the water.

In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Stir in the zucchini, corn, basil, scallions, 4 tablespoons flour, Parmesan, a good pinch of salt, and some fresh cracked black pepper. Stir until combined. If the mixture is still very wet, stir in another tablespoon of flour.

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle. Add a couple tablespoons of oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan for each fritter. When the bottom turns golden, flip with a spatula and cook until the other side is golden. Place on a paper towel, top with sea salt, and continue until all the batter is used.

Serve immediately topped with sour cream, if desired.

Serving plate of zucchini corn fritters.

23 comments:

  1. These are the perfect use of my two favorite summer veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what I am going to prepare for the dinner! These fritters look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite things to make with zucchini and corn in the summer -- it's the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini fritter is a great way to use all the zucchini growing right now! The basil sounds great in them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love fritters, and these ones are extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great way to use up all the zucchini! I love it. I will save this for when August and zucchini "season" hits! And I love your sour cream suggestion...I happen to believe anything is better with a hit of sour cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zucchini fritters are some of my absolute favorite things! I can only imagine that they would be made a million times better by adding corn to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gonna be a hit at my house coz we just love these two veges! Zucchini & corn sound fantastic! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the corn/zucchini combo - two of my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely have an abundance of squash....This is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I may have to make these for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you can't go wrong with this combo! I was just writing up a post for something quite similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These fritters are perfect! Zucchini and corn are my trusty stand-by's during summer, and making savory fritters like this is such a brilliant idea when there are leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! I have never had a zucchini fritter, but the combination of flavors here sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i just made something very similar- this is such a great way to use zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fritters are one of my favorite ways to eat zucchini! Love these with the corn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. NICE! Great way to use up those zucchinis in a delicious and by the looks of it really easy recipe :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love vegetable fritters and this time of the year yours sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Corn and zucchini are some of my favorite veggies and put together in fritters sounds really good. Great way to use up those leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like how you threw corn in here...I grew up on "zucchini cakes." It's been so long since I've had them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could make a whole meal just out of these heheheh. PINNED :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!