August 31, 2012

Cumin and lemon roasted cauliflower


I adore roasted veggies. Roasting brings out such great flavor to almost all vegetables. I always tell people who think they don't like certain vegetables (e.g., brussel sprouts, asparagus, beets) - roast them and give them another try. It adds such a nutty flavor while not overcooking them like is often done in boiling. My favorite way to eat cauliflower is definitely roasted. While I usually use nothing more than some olive oil, salt, and pepper, sometimes it's fun to add a little more spice and flavor. 

Cauliflower is coming into season here and I'm happy about that. I'm going to try to get back into the habit of creating and posting more side dishes. I really want to encourage people to try vegetables that they may not have eaten since they were a kid because they think they don't like them. Creative side dishes are ways to hopefully get even the pickiest of eaters to give something another try.



Cumin and lemon roasted cauliflower
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
about 3 tablespoons of unrefined coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
zest of one lemon
juice of half a lemon
a couple grinds of black pepper
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
a couple pinches of sea salt

Move the oven rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, toss together the cauliflower, about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, cumin, coriander, lemon zest, and black pepper. Place it onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon (a little more or less depending on how much cauliflower you have) of coconut oil on top of the cauliflower. Place in the oven and roast, turning/stirring the cauliflower half way through, for approximately 20 minutes, until fork tender and beginning to char. 

Top the cauliflower with the lemon juice, cilantro, and sea salt. Toss and serve immediately.



What was I cooking one year ago?: pineapple sage pound cake
Two years ago?: watermelon and feta salad

11 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe, I can't wait to try it! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What delicious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cauliflower roasted with warm spices, too. So comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious way to prepare cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about roasting veggies! It's the best way to bring out all the great flavors. Your combination of flavors is interesting: coconut oil, coriander and cilantro... I bet it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I have never roasted vegetables before. I can't believe it, this looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks so yummy it may even get me to eat my veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roasting vegetables is awesome and those spices sure bring out the flavours of cauliflower! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love roasting veggies...it makes them almost sweet! I love cauliflower, and I love the smoky cumin and the bright lemon here! I look forward to more of your side dishes! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love roasted cauliflower and find that it pairs really well with a number of spices
    p.s. your word verification is hard! I keep failing it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know i had word verification! Ugh... I hate when blogs have that - I always fail, too.. I'll have to investigate. Maybe it's the blogger default??

      Delete

I love to hear from you!