August 10, 2012

Warm Mexican corn salad


Mexican corn on the cob, or Elote, is something I've never had, but have always wanted. I have seen a lot of recipes for it and they talk about how you can get it on the streets of Mexico from vendors. I love food vendors. Since I've never been to Mexico, I have not yet had the opportunity to enjoy this delicious sounding treat. But, I did decide that it would make a great side dish to our steak tacos with pico de gallo. I read a lot of recipes for Elote and then I decided to change it up and use the same flavor profile to make a warm salad. I had bought some fresh corn recently and had just gotten a garden fresh jalapeno. While Elote is made with all mayo, I opted to cut the mayo and use mostly sour cream as well as add some scallions and jalapeno for more veggies and flavor.

One bite of this and my husband and I were both hooked! It was the perfect combination of sweet, salty, spicy, and sour. The two of us polished off the bowl quite easily, even opting for seconds of the corn instead of another steak taco, which says a lot! This recipe will make a side dish for about three people and is super easy to adjust for more. Definitely give this dish a try before sweet corn season is behind us.


Warm Mexican corn salad
1 tablespoon butter
kernels from three ears of sweet corn
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
1 clove garlic, minced
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
juice of 1 lime
about 1/4-1/3 cup crumbled Mexican cotija cheese, or feta cheese (I used feta)

Heat a cast iron or other heavy bottom skillet. Add the butter and melt it. Add the corn. Stir once and then let it char and caramelize on each side before stirring. This will only take a couple of minutes on each side. When the corn is almost finished, add in the jalapeno and scallion whites. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir. Cook until fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder (start with 1/4 teaspoon and taste to see if you want more). 

Transfer the corn to a medium bowl. Add the cilantro, scallion greens, sour cream, mayo, lime juice, and cheese. Stir until combined and serve immediately. 



What was I cooking one year ago?: stewed okra and tomatoes with andouille sausage
Two years ago?: summer vegetable enchiladas with creamy poblano sauce

20 comments:

  1. Yum, I think I would be hooked as well. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely delicious! I bet it would make a great topping for steak, chicken, or even fish tacos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really delicious. Corn is so great in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks & sounds amazing! Great for the season! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks fantastic. I've saved the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. terrific! i adore anything that comes out of that country! this elota looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing! Until I can visit a street vendor in Mexico, this is the next best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look so simple... I'm making it as a side dish... I know hubby would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow I don't even like corn that much but I bet I would like this! Love all the flavors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you used jalapeno in this- looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds amazing...I'm loving the ingredient list! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get enough fresh corn lately and this looks like the perfect use for it! Love the fresh lime, what a great way to brighten up the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love corn...and this warm salad sounds delicious, with a touch of spiciness...yum!
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a great week Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your corn salad looks incredibly good! My mouth is watering as I gaze at your wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea for a salad. Would be a great taco filling all on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm....looks amazing Amy!! Pinned! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds fabulous. I'm anxious to try it. Thanks for sharing at Friday Frenzy Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!