Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tomato jam


I have been getting a lot of tomatoes from my in-laws this summer. I'm always glad to take free fresh produce from people that have too much. Plus, I love when there's enough to can and save some of that summery tomato taste for, say, the middle of January! I saw a tomato jam recipe at Food in Jars and have been wanting to make it for a while. It sounded like a fancy ketchup without the vinegar and that's kind of what it is... Except it's also not smooth and has a bit more kick. You could use this jam on a burger in place of ketchup. I'm also thinking that it would be delicious in a grilled cheese sandwich, or really paired with cheese any way you'd like.

This took a while to cook down, so make this on a leisurely weekend when you can leave a pot simmering on the stove for a couple hours. It's worth it and it's a different way to save some of those summer tomatoes. I did make a couple of changes in terms of the sugar content (I reduced it quite a bit and still found the jam to be sweet) and I changed the spices a little. My adapted recipe is below. Whenever you are hot-water bath canning, be sure to follow the instructions and don't add anything that will reduce the acid content to the recipe. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of unsafe canning and the realm of using the pressure-cooker method. The yield of this recipe will vary of the water content of your tomatoes and how long you cook it down. My batch yielded slightly more than 2-1/2 pints. The best part of this recipe? --- it uses the skin and seeds, so no peeling! 


Tomato jam
5 lbs. tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
8 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika

Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low boil/simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces and becomes thickened. This took me about two hours. Remember that the mixture will be thicker as it cools.

Fill sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch of head space. Top with sterilized lids and secure with rings. Process in a hot water canning bath for 20 minutes. Remove, set aside, and let cool. Check to make sure that all the jars have sealed (if one doesn't, leave that one in the refrigerator). Store in a cool, dark place for up to one year.



What was I cooking one year ago?: Thai basil chicken
Two years ago?: peaches and cream tart

20 comments:

  1. Great way to use up all those tomatoes! I bet my hubby would totally love this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to preserve all the tasty tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun way to use-up all those tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made Tomato Jam before - it looks & sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Fantastic ways to preserve some tasty summer tomatoes! Love to try this on some macarons! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This jam sounds heavenly! I love all the spices in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made some tomato jam two weeks ago! It came out delicious, but those hot pepper flakes would have taken it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this sounds great. I can definitely imagine it going perfectly with grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful! I love the spices in there to add a little bit of complexity to the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Amy, I yet have to try canning...and this tomato jam sounds delicious...great way to use all the tomatoes :)
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, to mato season is afoot! Brilliant idea with this tomato jam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love tomatoes with/in everything! This is such amazing idea and I need to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful way to use tomatoes. Canned tomatoes of any sorts taste so good in January.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love anyone giving me fresh produces. :) Well, actually reality is not, so I'm jealous of your tomatoes! Nice tomato jams. I've never made or had tomato jams, despite it's my favorite veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this! I can usually pick up a bag of cheap tomatoes at my markets. If I'm lucky, they will be super ripe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks awesome! We have been blessed this year with lots of wonderful tomatoes from our garden. Now I know how I can use some of them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love salsa and spaghetti sauce, but jam is my favorite thing to make with the garden's bounty of tomatoes! great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tomato jam! My mom and I used to make this together, though ours was sweet like a bread and pastry jam. This version would be great with roasted chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!