Friday, November 23, 2012

Maple pecan pie


I think this pecan pie was the star of our Thanksgiving dinner this year. I know that I had a very difficult time resisting the temptation to eat a slice on Wednesday when I baked it. I've made a regular pecan pie before that uses corn syrup (it was one of my first posts ever on this blog. The photo is absolutely awful and the post isn't so great either. What a learning process this has been in terms of photography and writing. Certainly, I'm still not perfect at either of these, but definitely better than that pecan pie post and others from that time period.....) - Anyways, this time I wanted to try to infuse the pie with maple flavor to make it a bit more festive. The maple flavor is not strong, but subtle. The maple aroma, however, is really wonderful. It makes it extra special.

Now I make a lot of things for people, and I knew that my mom loves pecan pie, but I've never had so many people swoon over my food as they did when I presented them with this maple pecan pie. It's a good thing I took these photos the day I baked the pie, because there was no opportunity for me to even attempt snapping a decent photo of a piece - it was gone in no-time flat. This recipe will make one 9-inch pie and is a perfect addition to any holiday table or for any special occasion.

Maple pecan pie
1 single pie crust recipe (I often use this one)
1-1/4 cups whole pecans
1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
3 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated maple sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pure maple syrup (use Grade B for more maple flavor)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake just until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove, set aside, and bump up the oven to 400 degrees. 

Fit the pie crust to a 9-inch pie pan. 

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Then whisk in the maple sugar and brown sugar until dissolved. Stir in the maple syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt until combined. Then stir in the pecans.

Pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until the pie puffs slightly, the pecans are golden, and the pie is set, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely and refrigerate until serving time.   

  
What was I cooking one year ago?: cranberry sauce quickbread
Two years ago?: chocolate chip pumpkin bread       

22 comments:

  1. Wow, this pie looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip on using grade b syrup...love how stuffed full of pecans your pie is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecan pie is my favorite! This looks so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Literally my favourite pie ever. And I haven't been able to find any in stores in the UK or in Europe- it's the typical American and Canadian dessert that I have been craving SO badly. And yours looks so phenomenal I think I'll have to finally make it with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great thanksgiving treat! Love both maple syrup & pecan! Gosh! This is making me hungry ! I must try this out ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being Canadian, I am partial to maple sugar and maple syrup! This is such a beautiful pie...makes me want to do a happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be making this pie for Christmas. I love anything with pecans, but especially a pecan pie when it is baked right. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love pecan pie. It's funny - it didn't even occur to me to make one this year though! I guess I'll have to bookmark this for our Christmas dinner, instead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. this pecan pie sounds sooooo delicious, i love the maple syrup in here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a Maple Pecan pie this year, too...and it was SO slammin'! I can just imagine how quickly this went - it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made pecan pie, but I've craved it ever since I saw it on True blood! This look truly fabulous, the picture is gorgeous. I'm not surprised it was snapped up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I choose maple syrup over corn syrup any day! This sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never made a pecan pie before. Now seeing yours, I crave to bake one too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't go wrong with a perfect pecan pie, and yours truly does look perfect! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love pecan pie and this variation looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pecan pie so much, I sometimes buy those little wrapped ones at the 7-11 when I don't feel like baking one. Let me tell you...now I need to bake one because your recipe with maple is driving me crazy! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pecan pie is my favorite - I love that you used maple syrup! I bet is was heavenly! We must be on the same wavelength because I made a walnut pie w/ honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really, really delicious!

      Delete
  18. Must try to bake this pie soon, it looks marvelous and I love pecans and honey!
    http://ambassadorstable.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am dying to make a pecan pie and your use of maple sounds so good! On my to do list for sure! Might be January though, I'm a little behind!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!