Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dates stuffed with cardamom goat cheese and salted pistachios

  
Dates are something I love, but only usually find and eat around the holidays. This time of year I find packs of dried organic Medjool dates packed up in the produce section. They tend to be a bit pricey, but they are so sweet and chewy and completely delicious. What makes these little appetizers great is that the creamy goat cheese and the salty pistachios pair perfectly with the dates. The combination of all the flavors compliment each other so well and make the perfect one-bite snack. Pistachio and cardamom are such a great flavor pairing and I've been using it more and more lately. They are great to take to a holiday pot luck, work celebration, or put out as an appetizer for your holiday meal. They are easy and only require a few ingredients!

I made these for the Veggie/Fruit a Month event that I am guest hosting this month. There's still plenty of time to participate and send my your date recipes! 


Dates stuffed with cardamom goat cheese and salted pistachios
approximately 16-18 Medjool dates, halved lengthwise with pit removed
4 oz. goat cheese, slightly softened
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 cup roasted and salted pistachios, finely chopped and divided

Mix together the goat cheese, cardamom, and the pistachios (reserving one tablespoon) until well combined. Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of the mixture into each date half. Sprinkle with the reserved tablespoon of pistachios. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving time.

 
What was I cooking one year ago?: sesame-cranberry cookies 

20 comments:

  1. I love stuffed dates, especially with goat cheese! This is a recipe I'm definitely going to be adding to my holiday appetizer menu! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, i love medjool dates, especially when they're stuffed with yumminess. This recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dates and often snack on them when I feel hungry or crave something sweet. I love the goat cheese stuffing in these. Going to make them for a Christmas party, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very innovative & looks great ! My hubby loves dates & goat cheese , I'm certainly trying this recipe during the holidays! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend Amy ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make these for Christmas, my family would LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am such a date fan too! What a great ingredient to feature, and these stuffed dates are filled with so many yummy things.
    I'll be posting an orange date bread Monday or Tuesday and will send it your way once its ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great! Sounds delicious and festive.

      Delete
  7. I love dates but I love cardamom as well. Perfect little treats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love the inclusion of cardamom! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious combination of flavors! Looks irresistible.
    http://ambassadorstable.blogspot.co.at/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet this is one knock out bite...great textures and flavor combinations going on here..looove =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love goats cheese so so much. These look beautiful. Perfect for a Christmas appetiser :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you stuffed these! Great flavors. I can't resist buying up those packs of dates they are like nature's candy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finger food Amy, I always want to make stuffed dates and this recipe seems a very easy to start with...delicious with the crunchy pistachio.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As promised! For your round up: ORANGE DATE YOGURT BREAD. Think holiday spirit in loaf form :-)

    http://www.thelawstudentswife.com/2012/12/orange-date-yogurt-bread/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - thanks! Here's the post with the information on the event and how to participate.

      http://savorymomentsblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/event-announcement-veggiefruit-month.html

      Delete
  15. My husband's aunt makes a similar appetizer every year for Christmas and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy, interesting recipe. It sure look very appetizing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmm...I can almost taste the creamy goat cheese just from looking at the picture. I'm sure I would love these! what a great appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, these look so good. Funnily enough, I have all the ingredients in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!