May 8, 2013

Creamy potato and ramp soup


Do you forage? Foraging is something relatively new for me and it started when my husband introduced me to the ramp. These little wild alliums are ready to eat in the spring and are fleeting like the spring wildflowers. They are delicious, pungent, and fill your house with the smell of onion and garlic. My husband and I were recently featured in our local paper in an article and recipe on foraging, specifically for ramps. This is the same recipe I wrote for the paper and since my husband brought home some ramps the other day, I figured I should make this soup again and get it up on my blog. 

While foraging is a wonderful way to get close to nature and your food, you must remember three important rules: 1) know what you are picking and eating; 2) only take a few (you don't want to decimate a patch); and 3) no trespassing.

This recipe will make a large pot of soup - enough for about 4-5 large bowls. You can make it in the slow cooker (which I did for this version) or on the stove (which I did in the article). I served it topped with some finely sliced ramp greens, but you can also top it with some sour cream, minced parsley, and/or even a little cooked and crumbled bacon.

 
Creamy potato and ramp soup
2 cups ramp bulbs, roughly chopped
about 2-1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
4 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
3 oz. cream cheese at room temperature, diced into cubes

Add all of the ingredients except the cream cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours.

Add the cream cheese. Puree to your desired consistency using a hand blender (or in batches in a regular blender). Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Garnish as desired.

If your soup is too thick, feel free to add more broth or a touch of water (even a little milk). If you have leftovers, you'll likely want to thin them out a little. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: stuffed mushrooms pasta bake
Two years ago?: chicken, mushroom, and millet skillet
Three?: bog salad with maple vinaigrette

25 comments:

  1. Never heard of ramp...interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try ramp! I love the foraging idea, I know in New England we probably have tons of good stuff just waiting to be picked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that article? Congrats on the write-up! And your soup looks + sounds SO good. I'd love some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never heard of ramp but this soup looks deliciously creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't forage but I absolutely LOVE ramps! they have such a distinct and bold flavor. This soup sounds perfect for showcasing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to find some ramps. This sounds so good. Lucky you! Bought them once at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked with ramps before. I'll have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you've introduced me to a new food. I'll have to look for them specifically at the farmer's market - they sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love ramps! So aromatic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ramps, in Austria we are using them a lot, especially in Springtime.
    The soup looks delightful, creamy and tasty.
    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to google ramps. This is the second time today I have seen them mentioned on blogs and I have never heard of them. I wonder if we get them here in Oz. Maybe they go by a different name. Love the sound of foraging xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just googled ramps and I don't think I have seen this vegetable before (or I just pass by!) But it looks really nice in soup especially with potatoes. I love creamy soup like this. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tasted my first ramps only a couple years ago. Love your goat cheese custard and your soup! Need to hunt some down :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love soup; it's so hearty and easy! This looks filling, comforting, and flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had ramp before but it sounds super good. I wish I had a bowl of that right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ramps are great! And foraging is a sensible way to get them - they often aren't available in stores (though farmer's markets tend to have them). Terrific looking soup - love all the flavors in it. Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy, very interesting comfort soup, look so creamy and appetizing. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. definitely don't forage myself, but i'm glad someone does to bring me ramps!! what a lovely soup!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never foraged before! This soup sounds like a bowl of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Amy, This is new to me. I love trying new flavors. I will look for these.
    The soup looks so delicious. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting idea. Great article! This soup looks like the perfect comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to try cooking with ramps! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Foraging is very common here in Greece and many people do it. I remember as a child many of my mother's aunts were taking me with them while foraging and I was searching for little animals and birds and watch them while they were picking greens and mushrooms. Your soup looks perfect and with such powerful ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What does ramp look like? I want to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sort of like a small leek or green onion with larger leaves. There are photos of the tops of them in the news article I linked to.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!